USA Work Visa: Important Steps to Follow

Please note: You’ll find more information about types of Visa U.S in this article:

Visa for Working in United States: Description, Qualifications & When to Apply

When to apply for a visa

The Consulate can process your H, L, O, P or Q visa application up to 90 days before the start of the employment status indicated on your I-797. However, when making your travel plan, please note that due to federal regulations, you can only use this visa to enter the United States ten days before the start of your approved status period which is indicated. on your I-797.

Request elements

If you are applying for an H, L, O, P or Q visa, you must provide the following documents on the day of the interview:

The confirmation page for your DS-160 form. Visit the DS-160 web page for more information about the DS-160. You will not be able to attend your interview without the confirmation page of your DS-160 form.

A passport valid for travel to the United States with a validity date of at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States (except in the case of bilateral agreements providing an exemption.) If more than one person is included on your passport, each person wishing to obtain a visa must apply.

One (1) 5cm x 5cm (2 “x2”) photograph taken within the last six months. This web page contains information about the required photo format.

You will also need to present:

A receipt for payment of the nonimmigrant visa application process fee in the amount of US $ 190 paid in local currency. This web page contains more information on how to pay these fees. If a visa is issued, additional reciprocity fees may apply for visa issuance depending on your nationality. The Department of State’s website can help you find out if you have to pay a reciprocity fee for issuing the visa as well as the amount owed.

If you are applying for an L1 visa with a petition blanket, you will need to pay a Fraud Detection and Prevention Fee (more information on these fees can be found here).

The receipt number printed on your accepted application I-129.

The interview appointment confirmation page confirming that you have made an appointment through this service.

You can also bring any supporting documents that could support the information communicated to the consular officer. You do not have to present a hard copy of I-797 during the interview.

How to Apply

Step 1

Complete the Electronic Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form (DS-160).

2nd step

Pay your visa application fee.

Step 3

Make your appointment on this web page. You need three pieces of information to make the appointment.

Your passport number.

Visa fee payment receipt number. (Click here if you need help finding this number.)

The ten (10) digit barcode number found on the DS-160 confirmation page.

Step 4

Visit the Consulate on the time and date of your visa interview. You will need to present a printed copy of your appointment letter, your Form DS-160 confirmation page, a photo taken within the past six months, your current passport as well as any old ones. Incomplete files will not be accepted.

Justificative documents

In addition to these documents, you will need to present an appointment letter to the interview confirming that you have made an appointment through this service. You can also present any supporting documents that could support the information given to the consular officer.

Please note: do not present false documents. Fraud or misrepresentation can result in permanent ineligibility for a visa. In case of confidentiality concerns, you can bring your documents to the Consulate in a closed envelope. The Consulate will not disclose your information to others and will respect the confidentiality of information.

Consular officers review each request individually and assess professional, social, cultural and other factors. Consular officers can take into consideration your specific intentions, your family situation and your long-term plans in your country of residence. Each file is examined individually and according to the law.

If you are applying for a visa for the first time, you will save time by presenting the following documents on the day of your interview:

Proof of your professional qualifications, including any university degrees.

Original letters from your current and previous employers detailing your position and projects you worked on, and how much time you spent with that employer.

If you are currently working or you have an H-1B status, submit your payslips for the current year as well as your income tax returns (IRS Form 1040 and W-2) for all the years in which you have been employed in the United States. You must present:

the payslips for your current or most recent job,

the names and telephone numbers of the personnel managers of your current and previous jobs,

your CV.


Your dependents must bring all the documents required for a nonimmigrant visa, plus:

Original marriage certificate (for your spouse) and / or birth certificate (for unmarried children under 21), if applicable

A contract and / or letter from your employer confirming your continued employment

If your spouse is currently working in the United States on an H-1B visa, their payslips for the current year and income tax return (IRS Form 1040 and W-2s) for all years during which he / she was employed in the United States on an H-1B visa.

More information

For more information about H, L, O, P, and Q visas, visit the State Department’s Temporary Workers webpage.